Sunday, November 28, 2010

no more turkey!

Thanksgiving festivities have come to a close at the Watkins' household and I'm absolutely exhausted. In fact, there are still dishes piled up from Friday and they won't be dealt with until tomorrow.. I just couldn't do it today...

In retrospect, the holiday went very well. It began last Friday when mom, mimi and my great aunt came to visit and helped me prepare for hosting my in-laws on Saturday afternoon. We cooked, ate pizza and babysat our best friend's baby Madilyn.. it was a fun night!

Saturday, we got up, straightened up and I cooked for our afternoon meal. We had a great time with my in-laws and great food! We had leftovers until Tuesday, yum! On Wednesday, my sister came over and we cooked for an event she was attending Thursday afternoon, so the kitchen went back into disaster mode. On Thursday, we got up early went to my parent's church and helped cook, box, and serve Thanksgiving meals for the less fortunate in the community. This has become a Thanksgiving tradition for our family and we absolutely love it.

Since that pushes our family meal to Friday after Thanksgiving day, we headed to mom's Thursday evening to help prepare. The boys watched the Bengals lose miserably to the Jets, while Mom and I made several dishes and wrapped some gag gifts for our game of bingo the following night :)

On Friday, we woke up, and I started cooking again, and headed to Shepherdsville in the early afternoon to cook and prepare for the evening meal.

The family meal was a wonderful success! Plenty of food, friends and family to share with. We had a full table, full hearts and full bellies! The bingo game created many laughs and giggles and we're already planning for a rematch next year!

In summary, we are very thankful, very blessed and VERY tired of turkey ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment