Thursday, May 6, 2010

on being a housewife...

Here's my juice on being a housewife.

First of all- after two weeks, my house has immaculately improved. The laundry is nearly caught up- and I've created a laundry system where I'll know what he needs clean and when and can hopefully bring my laundry down to 1 load every other day.. it's just the two of us! for goodness sake.

So far, being home and taking care of things here has diminished arguments, straightened up the house, given me loads of self confidence. Get this- I feel more prideful and accomplished after a day of laundry and house cleaning than I ever felt after a day at the office.. amazing. thank you Lord for this opportunity.

Tommy and I took a huge leap of faith in my coming home and our giving up one income. We would never go back.. we've never been happier and felt more calm and in love than we do now. He's happy. Giddy even. He's so excited when his lunch is packed in the fridge and clothes are ready for the office. Before now, I was gone so much.. and with my commute, he usually beat me home.. then I would rush in, complain about having to cook dinner (when I absolutely love to cook).. and he would remember at 11pm that he didn't have any clean clothes for the office the next day. Rough stuff on a new marriage! Plus, the house would be in disarray until the weekend came.. and I'd be so tired when the weekend did come- that I'd try my best to pick up, but it was never the way I wanted it..

I see mom a lot too, and I've been trying to help her with some of her chores a few days a week. She's a busy woman!  She keeps me busy.. but it's fun.. and I always come home with something.. she is the most generous woman. Sometimes, she'll send me home with dinner, or a new shirt, and I'm allowed to raid her pantry for cangoods and things if I'm running low.. a free grocery shopping trip- I'm in !

Before we decided that I should leave my 'real job'.. we discussed the money, the house, the budget.. but what I never discuss with Tommy was my fear of not having.. a purpose. I knew that I wasn't fulfilling my God given purpose at the office.. I felt trapped, and of no help to anyone.. anywhere.  But I was so scared that coming home and taking care of the house and a wonderful husband would leave me feeling empty, and without purpose.. like I didn't have a place in the world.

I was wrong about that. God definitely showed me otherwise. My purpose is to be a wife, a daughter, a granddaughter, sister, niece, friend and someday a mother.. but I couldn't see that while I was at the office, because I was so desperately searching for a purpose that was complex and career oriented...

I'm exactly where I'm meant to be. I love every day, and having a chance to stop and smell the flowers, throw on my flip flops and head to moms for some girl time, grocery shop during the day (it's not crowded during the day!!! who knew?!?!?!) and prepare dinner for a worthy and loving husband to come home and enjoy. Life is wonderful, and every day is getting better.

On being a housewife.... one word... purposeful.

3 comments:

  1. I may need you to make me up a system :) I stay at home but I am not very good at keeping a clean organized house ( which I thought would come when I got to stay home!) and with Bennett crawling around I'm having trouble! Maybe you can help :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kara!

    I just had to sit and read every word of the three blogs you've posted. You're a great writer! So real... so you. I try to blog at least once a month, or whenever something the least bit exciting happens...ha!

    LOOOOOOVED the "housewife" blog!!!!! So happy for you and Tommy! I know it has to boost Tommy's ego to know that you're able to stay at home (I know it boosts Nathan's... makes him feel like he's spoiling me). I do work - online course design (which I am able to do from home) and a side cleaning job... both things that I love doing, and would almost do them for free, I love it that much. :)

    Oh, and laundry every other day for two people sounds about right! :) Of course, one pair of my husband's jeans just about fills up the laundry hamper, so...

    We're living close to my parents right now, so I know exactly what you're talking about when you talk about those trips to mom's... yep, and free groceries!

    I'll have to try out that chocolate cake recipe! I've attempted one homemade choc. cake... results were a bit dry. Keep me posted on any successful recipes!

    So I've officially written you a book... :)


    Laura Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke- I'm still learning, but with one baby and expecting another, I'm not sure how you even have time to shower and put clothes on- AND you always look so put together. Good Luck! I'm sure when we have babies, things will really change.

    Laura- thanks so much for your compliments! Hope everything is going well with you all.. I hear you on the laundry thing.. I've been wearing workout type stuff around the house.. so my tank tops don't take up much room.. but his dress pants and khakis can take up a whole load!! and our laundry is in the basement.. my only complaint about this house is the basement laundry.. and our room is on the second floor.. so every load goes down two flights and up two flights.. good for the leg muscles!

    ReplyDelete